Time management is an important skill one must master in order to live a more desirable lifestyle. Here are 5 tips to better manage your time.
1. Make a schedule/routine – Making a schedule/routine frees your mind from thinking about what to do next. It allows you to dedicate your energies elsewhere.
2. Prioritize – Don’t assign yourself a bulk load of tasks to complete in one day. Spread things out. Prioritize things that are the most urgent. Ask yourself, “Does task A (which is due in 5 months) need to be worked on over task B (which is due tomorrow)?” A bit extreme but you get my point.
3. Ask yourself why? – Aside from prioritizing what is most important, one must also ask “Why was the task at hand so important?”
4. Focus on the task at hand – Don’t multitask. Research conducted at Stanford University shows that multitasking is a very ineffective way to complete one’s daily tasks. It affects your attention span, ability to recall information, or switch from one job to another as well those who complete one task at a time. Research conducted at the University of London also shows that people who multitasked during cognitive tasks experienced IQ score declines that are similar to what they’d expect of someone who had smoked marijuana or stayed up all night.
5. Manage your energy – Failure to manage your energy levels will inevitably take a toll on us physically, mentally, and emotionally. In consequence, this will lead to declining levels of engagement, increasing levels of distraction, and future medical problems. Remember, balance is key.
Citation for main picture: https://www.liquidplanner.com/blog/7-essential-time-management-strategies/
Author: Josh Oania – Treasurer of Virgina Beach Chapter